Saturday, October 27, 2012

SS : Memories Part 6


Air.

That was the only word her mind was screaming...

Khushi bolted from the storeroom and rushed out of the building.

The second she was outside, she took a long deep breath.

Lightheaded, she reached out and balanced herself on the building's sturdy surface.

"Oh my God..." her voice was stuttering..."I...He...We..." instantly she was transported back to the kiss...

Firm pressure...

Tongues touching  in a hot carress...

Khushi could still feel his hands on her face, her arms, her waist...

"I...I don't know what...why did I..." her hand held on tight to her heart..."why do I feel so...so different around him..."

Her fingers moved to her tingling lips that were still wet with passion...

Khushi felt desolate when his mouth withdrew from hers...

His eyes...they tugged at her heart...

Eyes that saw remarkably through her, glimpsing into her soul.

Then she recalled his words...

"I can't believe I found you...How did this happen!? Why didn't I ever try to find out more!"

Cringing, she muttered..."Found Me???....I was just in the storeroom!"

She crossed her arms under her breasts and lifted her chin.

“I might not be a big-time Business executive like him, but I’m far from illiterate! If he thinks he's going to get me to quit or fall for him, then...” she took a breath..."then he is downright wrong!"


...........

Arnav stood in the entrance to his building staring through the glass...

He could see her outside, talking to herself, trying to calm herself like she always used to...

Used to...

He smiled, "I remember...I remember everything..."

His heart was leaping until he realized..."But...but does she remember?...what if she doesn't..."

Arnav felt the onset of a panic attack..."Oh my God! I kissed her...and she...she doesn't remember...what if she quits and...and I...I can't let her leave..."

His fists were clenched and he felt a sweat begin to break out...

"A raise?...No...I don't want her to think I'm buying her off...Oh God help me, I can't lose her again...not again..."

As he was mentally at war with himself, he didn't notice Khushi standing in front of him until she cleared her throat...

Snapping out of his pressure filled thoughts, he came face to face with the woman who he was in love with.

His Khushi.

"I love you..." he thought..."I love you Khushi...I remember everything..."

Arnav swallowed hard and tried to break the silence..."Khushi...I...I can..."

Khushi crossed her arms and interrupted..."No need to explan Mr. Raizada. I am going back to my desk. Nothing has changed. I don't WANT anything to change. I am your employee. I will finish my required tasks and then return home."

Of all the things he’d expected her to say, that wasn’t even in the bunch.

Arnav wasn’t used to women who insisted on keeping things 'strictly business' when they were with him.

He had more money than he knew what to do with and women had always been vying for his attention...

But it had been the memory of her, all these years that had stopped him from doing anything...

He waited for her to say more, but she only spun around, whipping his shoulder with her hair, and walked away to her desk...



..................


When lunchtime arrived, Anjali and Payal brought lunch for their respective siblings...

Khushi was quiet.

Payal was extremely worried, as Khushi was never, ever usually quiet.

All the way upstairs, a different 'Arnav' was being unveiled...

Anjali's smile made her mouth ache...

Arnav was pacing around the room, talking.

Non stop.

He hugged Anjali and then was off on a tangent.

He began to recited his past...

Pain, Hurt, Happiness, and love...

"Chote...You...You remember it all?!"

Arnav knelt in front of her..."I DO! I can't believe it! But Di, how do I get Khushi to remember? How?! I can't be without her...I can't stay away from her...I need to be close to her, but she doesn't remember me...and I kissed her! I mean, she must hate me even more! I was horrible to her when she arrived, and now...now I'm..."

Before Anjali could speak, he was standing again and raking his hand through his hair..."She doesn't remember...I can't...I can't believe that all this time...what if i am making her feel like I was yesterday..."

"What do you mean?"

"I had HER scream echoing my head...I had images of her flashing in my mind...I felt...I felt like I was betraying the girl I had loved, and I was FURIOUS with her...but her, WAS HER!"

Anjali got to her feet and held his hand..."Chote, when you woke up...you were haunted by a girls scream..."

His eyes flooded with tears...

"But when Khushiji woke up...she had lost something...she knew she had lost the man she loved, and the man who loved her..."

Arnav looked down to where Khushi and Payal were eating...

"Love is strong Chote...she has held onto a hidden love all this time...she doesn't remember, because she is afraid of losing that...but just like you, when she remembers, she will realize that her love had been with her all along..."

Arnav's eyes turned dark..."She won't lose my love...she never has... I know everything now. And I damn well won't let her get away...And I will make her remember. I love her. I am in love with her Di..."

His body surged with strength...

Anjali saw his raw determination...

"Chote, be gentle with her..."

"No Di."

Anjali's eyes flickered with shock..."Chote! You have to b..."

Staring sternly down at his sister, he said..."I know that woman down there better than anyone else...she's a stubborn,  annoying know-all who needs to be told things plainly...she always has been. I'll give her gentle love, but she need a strongwilled man to match that heart of hers...that's how I won her before, and that's how I'll damn well do it again."


.....................



"She didn't say a word..." Payal said feeling unnerved..."She hardly ate...it's as though her mind is working in overdrive..."

Anjali was also in a trance..."He wouldn't shut up. He remembered everything. EVERYTHING. Every little detail from his life before the crash..."

Anjali heard Payal begin to cry and moved closer putting her arm around her..."Payalji...Khushiji will remember...I know she will..."

"You don't understand!"

Anjali flinched back hearing Payal's anger...

"Arnavji has been searching! Searching unconsciously for the woman he lost! Khushi hasn't! She knew what she lost, and all she had left was the memory of his love..."

Silence...

Anjali nodded..."I understand...If she looses that...then..."

"Then she will be completely broken..."



.....................



Khushi sat at her desk working.

Filing.

Printing.

Proofreading.

Her head hurt...

She was concentrating so intently...desperate to forget the effect of Arnav's kiss...desperate to remember the love she felt she was forgetting...

Rereading some files that she had copied, she saw a few mistakes she had made...

"UGH! Damn!" she muttered..."I need some coffee...I know I don't drink it, but Khushi, you need to be alert. You will get your work done PROPERLY."

Picking up her phone, she dialed the extention for Arnav's office...

The phone rang out and she slammed it back down..."Laad Governor...Not available for his staff when..."

"Did you need something?"

Khushi's head snapped up and she saw him...

Quickly standing, she clutched tightly to her dupatta as she tried to explain..."I...I was just...I was calling to..."

"Did you need a break? You know you are allowed a 15 minute break in the afternoon, you can take that anytime you need."

Khushi crossed her arms and scowled..."When do the rest of the workers take their break? I don't want any special privileges!"

Arnav knew that Khushi had probably changed in the years they were apart, but to see a woman with such strong self respect spoke volumes of her character.

She was still his Khushi.

Unable to look away, his eyes remained locked on hers...

Khushi became entranced..."Those eyes..." she thought..."His eyes...I've seen his eyes...He..."

Unthinkingly, he reached for her, pulling her arms down so he could hold her hands, effectively breaking the body language that would remind her of her anger.

“I don't want to make things hard for you Khushi...You’re a successful, strong, independent woman...you always have been. I'm so glad that has never changed...”

Now furious, Khushi yanked her hands from his..."...'always have been?'...'never changed?'...STOP ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW ME!!!"

She was going to argue— it seemed to be the woman’s favorite past time— so he placed a finger on her lips and said, “...quiet. Stop continuously arguing with me!”

He removed his finger and turned to leave when he heard, “But—”

With a growl of frustration he swung back around, grabbed her by the nape and pulled her against his body...

She stiffened and a shocked squeak came from somewhere in the back of her throat.

“Dammit Khushi! Do you always have to argue?”

By now, the rest of the office staff were trying not to watch the jaw dropping happenings in front of them...

Their gazes held on fiercely as his hold on her only tightened...

Arnav Singh Raizada had completely gone missing...

All he could see was Khushi...

Khushi gasped as he began to lean in closer, and stepped away from him as her cheeks flushed to match her ruby lips.

Arnav froze as he realized he had just been about to kiss her, in front of his entire office...

He mentally scolded himself, knowing that he must have scared her more...

But upon closer inspection he swore he saw a deeper connection in her eyes.

Could it be that she was starting to remember?

He needed to get out of there.

Fast.

When he spoke, he was surprised by the gravel in his voice. “The staff take their break at 3pm. Take yours then as well...”

Then he spun on his heel and strode away fast...


.........


As the minutes dragged on and on, Arnav found himself growing completely out of control...

He squirmed in his seat.

His concentration was utterly gone.

All his mind and body would let him do, was stare down towards Khushi...

He recalled the last day they had spent together...

Their passionate kiss...

His proposal...

Her acceptance...

Their drive home...

Then...the car...

It came out of nowhere...

He remembered throwing his arm out in front of Khushi...

His eyes slammed shut...

He was transported back to that very moment...

He could feel her hands clinging to his shirt...

He remembered turning to face her as she leant into him, with all the trust in the world

Her eyes were shut tight as she buried her face in his embrace...

And then, the impact of the colliding cars ripped a scream from her throat...

At that sound, Arnav stood up fast and quickly looked down searching for Khushi...

She was gone.

He saw the rest of his staff heading towards the cafeteria...

3pm.


...................


"So...Khushi...I see that the boss has chosen YOU as his new play thing..." sneered one lady...

Khushi blinked slowly and tried to ignore...

"It's ok...he's usually the prey of every girl in the office...but do tell, what did you do to make him so attentive?"

Spinning around, Khushi glared at the woman standing before her..."I am NOT here to find 'prey' of any kind..."

"Oh well it it's a relationship you're looking for, then you'll only find heartbreak here honey, ASR hasn't had a committed relationship since...well...since we all started working here...he won't commit to anyone..."

Arnav walked into the room and saw Khushi.

Leaning against the wall, he braced himself, trying to think of something to approach her about...

But the next words from her mouth ignited his fury...

"Well then, that would make Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada a coward!"

His teeth clenched, and he pushed himself from the wall, approaching her like a raging storm cloud. 

“I have been called many things, Khushi Kumari Gupta, but never coward.”

Fear began to strike it's match in her heart, but Khushi stood her ground... “Then, perhaps it’s time someone told you the truth.  If you were brave, you would face any fear, whether it be work, friends or relationship...failure to commit is still failure!"

Khushi could hardly believe that she had just spoken to her boss like that...and in a room full of his employees no less!

A muscle in his cheek twitched and his eyes burned with outrage. 

Khushi could feel the anger emanating from his body like the heat from a hearth. 

Turning back to the other woman, her voice regained some strength ..."And furthermore, I will not stand here and be accused of anything more...”

Anger instantly vanishing, Arnav stepped forward ready to stand up for whatever that woman had accused her of..."What? What accusation?"

Khushi's eyes locked onto his once more..."Why should you care?"

Arnav stepped closer, making Khushi retreat slightly..."WHAT ACCUSATION."

Swallowing hard, Khushi gave it up..."I was accused of trying to seduce you...but I want to make one thing clear... YOU are unchivalrous lout capable of no feelings for anyone but himself...I wouldn't seduce you if you were the last man on earth!” 

With that,  Khushi pushed past him, and stormed out of the room.







PRECAP-

"She has the highest moral character out of EVERYONE in this building! If I hear that anyone has spoken ill of her again, then I won't hesitate to fire each and every one of you..."

Arnav stared long and hard at the room full of his employees...

Each with the same startled expression on their face...

"DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!?" Arnav's voice boomed throughout the room...



6 comments:

  1. great update loved it, sarah,
    please cont soon. (IF USER ID Laksh65)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this story, cant wait for the nxt cha;pter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, lovely update! arnav trying to shield khushi from catty innuendoes but a feisty khushi doesn't need any such protection... hopefully, the loss of the memory of her love won't destroy her as payal and anjali fear... hope arnav's love overlaps that memory and coalesces into a united whole that only strengthens their love... that jealous woman needs to be clobbered... really loved khushi's verbal clobbering! precap makes me really eager for the next part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely update Sarah,

    Hope Khushi will regain her memory soon,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely update. I just wish khushi gains her memory soon.

    Chaitali.

    Sweatmango - IF

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this update!! I don't know why but it reminds me of I can't let her go :) can not wait to see where you take this storyline! Sonia x

    ReplyDelete